Making Friends with Yourself is an 8 week training program designed to help teens ages 12-20 learn to manage difficult emotions emotions through the challenges of their teenage years.
Mindfulness helps teens cultivate skills of self-awareness and emotional resilience. Self compassion helps them to respond to the challenges they face with greater kindness and self -care. Preliminary studies demonstrate 32% reduction in depression for teens who practice self-compassion.
- 8 week science based program for teens
- Teen will learn age appropriate hands on resiliency strategies
- This course is therapeutic but is NOT group therapy; teens will discover tips and tricks to mange stress/ racing mind, make better decisions and learn to accept themselves as they are!
Do you know a teen or young adult who has difficulty….
Sleeping? A racing mind? Struggles with negative self image or perfectionism? Learning disorder? Eating disorder? Shame? Feelings of self loathing? Anxiety or depression? ….. is a human teenager…lol.
This course is not therapy and will not explore the “why” or the “reason” for the suffering. Teens will learn in MFY course to be present with their emotional and learn healthy ways to manage them. Mindfulness and self compassion are life long skills that can help induviuals enjoys life to its fullest and will also give teens the tools to get through the hard times.
“I wish I had learned that I could be kind to myself a long time ago… it has made my life easier, and I am happier.” – Teen Participant, age 18
Making Friends With Yourself has been adapted from the adult Mindful Self-Compassion program (created by Kristin Neff, PhD and Christopher Germer, PhD) by Karen Bluth, PhD, Associate Director, Mindfulness-Based Stress and Pain Management Program at University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill and Lorraine Hobbs, M.A., Director, Youth and Family Programs, University of California, San Diego Center for Mindfulness.
Key Features :Making Friends with Yourself: A Mindful Self-Compassion Program for Teens & Young Adults:
- This course is not therapy, but therapeutic in nature.
- Participants focus on skill development & brain training
- Participants will learn to calm their minds using science based approach to self compassion and mindfulness
- Fee includes a family orientation session and a two hour workshop in Mindful & Compassionate Parenting
- Graduates of this course may re-enroll for a reduced rate upon completion of the course
- Ages 11-20
- Apply to MFY program
- Family and Teen orientation to determine if MFY course is the best fit
- Teen Sessions 1H 45mins for 8 weeks
- Parents Night – 2.5 hours- 4 weeks into the program
“I feel more comfortable with myself.” – Teen Participant age 15
Please note : We are a compassioante organization and offer scholarships and bursaries. Please contact us if you require financial assistance.
Are there ID or minimum age requirements to enter the event?
Groups will be divided into age groups (12-15 yrs) and (16- 20 yrs)
What are my transportation/parking options for getting to and from the event?
Bethlehem retreat center is located next to the Westwood Tennis Club and has lots of free parking. We will be mainly in the Shepard Hall. Check Facebook or teens will receive a text of room changes or cancellations.
What can I bring into the event?
Your favorite note book and water bottle. Teens will be asked to take notes and self-reflect.Teens do not have to share self refelctions. Anything written in the note books are private and part of the healing journey.
How can I contact the organizer with any questions?
Facebook: Zen Librarian